Friday, February 28, 2014

The Powerful Play Goes On...

Hello!

I started a new art journal recently and wanted to share a new page.  I've always loved the movie "Dead Poets Society" and especially one of the lines where Robin Williams' character quotes Walt Whitman poem... "the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse."  Powerful stuff.  I'm not sure what the advertisement is for, but there has been an ad on TV lately with that quote, so it's been on my mind.  Wanted to use it on this page...


I started with a brayered background of fresco paints, added some of my brayer clean up / collage papers around the borders.   Then, to do some blending, I did a little finger-painting - OMG - think I'll be doing more of that!  FUN!  I was having trouble getting the blended look I wanted and just dove in with fingers - worked beautifully!  I added a little bit of stenciling around the edges with the new Dylusions "blocks" stencil and white paint.


I tore several strips of dictionary paper and wove them together over the background, attaching them with my beloved Glue 'N' Seal (since I learned it was being discontinued I went out and bought SEVEN pots - the big ones!!!) Painted a sketchy circle with watered down little black dress paint and added the Whitman quote, making it a little more personal by saying that "I WILL" contribute a verse.


Stamped one of my pod shapes onto some turquoise collage paper so bring some of that color into the piece (lots of it in the border), and then added about a million dots with black and white paint pens.  It's an awesome way to fill in space with texture.


Finished by adding a scribbly black border, overlapping all the collage pieces, and filling in the overlapped areas with a white paint pen.

I haven't done a lot of art journaling lately, so I feel like I'm getting my feet wet all over again - going to do at least one page a week and see where it leads.  This journal will be just for PaperArtsy stuff - paints, my stamps, etc.

Hope you all have a great weekend - see you next week!

~ ellen.

12 comments:

♥Gemma♥ said...

This page is fantastic, i love the fact its bright because it makes it so eye catching, fabulous quote too!! You've done a grande job and can't wait to see more!!
hugs and xxx
Gemma

Stacey Vadaj said...

its an apple commercial and can be found here http://www.dispatchfromla.com/dispatch_from_la/2014/02/my-entry.html i agree it is an awesome commercial......

Clare Lloyd said...

fab page and I love that film too! x

Nancy B said...

So much to look at in this great art!

Helen said...

wow, gorgeous, Ellen!

Hazel Agnew said...

Fab as usual. X

Tracy said...

Love this page! There's nothing like getting your fingers dirty, is there? :)

Kirsten Alicia Sheridan said...

Fantastic page. I love the turquoise pods.

massofhair said...

Am a huge Robin Williams Fan, loved his performance in DPS:-)

Fantastic quote & colour play on your journal page:-) xxx

Kezzy said...

Wow absolutely awesome journal page, so love the bright colours and funky stamping and the quote is certainly powerful :-) Kezzy xxx

Betsy Skagen said...

In addition to lovely design, I'm also learning that I it is possible to write shorter tutorials. Mine get so long! Thanks for another great post. -Betsy at PaperCalliope.com

My name is Erika. said...

Great images. They look awesome on your backgrounds.