Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Abstract Collage

Hello!

I've been busy in the studio and wanted to share an abstract collage piece I did over the weekend.  I started with some Smoothy Heavyweight card that was left after using the other part for something else.  The size was approximately 8" x 9".

For this piece I used several shades of Liquitex BASICS paints in a bright palette. As usual I started with the lightest shade and worked to the darker shades, building layers and depth. I stamped the "owl eye" border stamp from EEV03 in geranium red archival ink and then stamped the scratchy pod from EEV02 in several areas in the background using aquamarine archival ink.  Links to my stamps are on my sidebar --->>>


Then I added some book text first and then layered some collage papers stamped with the bold swirly circle stamp from EEV01 over the book text.


Next I layered some scribble collage papers (see video on Jane Davies' blog HERE).  I love, love, love this look!  The video uses Tulip dimensional fabric paint, and that is what I used for my papers, but I think Ranger's dimensional pearls or enamel accents, or Viva's pearl pens would work just fine.


And, of course, I added some dotty textures with my black and white paint pens... yes, I'm addicted! 


From my 8 x 8 sheet, I got one square piece for framing (5 1/2" x 5 1/2"), plus four ATC's for future He[Art] Cards.  Some of the ATC's aren't full size... I used the smaller pieces for some patchwork ATC's, mixing with other small pieces from this sheet, plus some map paper.  Here's the close-ups.






So, from one sheet of paper I got some framed art and some ATC's.  Hope you enjoy!

7 comments:

sam21ski said...

These look fab, just picked up some of that tulip dimensional paint to have a go at this when I get home!!

Sam xx

Helen said...

I love it - what great use of a sheet of paper!!

Kirsten Alicia Sheridan said...

Wow, amazing page, that dimensional paint looks great.

whyducks said...

So beautiful, outstanding!

Patti Parrish said...

Awesome as usual. Love the bit of map popped in there.

Nan G said...

Love your abstracts! Thanks for sharing the video link. A technique worth trying, definitely.

sally said...

Go, Ellen! The design is so much fun and the P.A. paint colours are so vibrant. Just love it all.
Greetings from France - Sally