Thursday, March 6, 2014

Altered Cigar Box

Hi all,

I've done a lot of antique store "junk" collecting over the years, and I've had this little beauty for a while and thought it was time to give it some new life... this is a short and sweet little project - only took about an hour!


I used some Liquitex BASICS paints in yellow, orange and magenta to create a brayered background, cut it down to all the right sizes to fit the lid (outside and inside) and all four sides, added some washi tape to all the seams, added some map collage and a travel quote, a stacked button handle, and painted the inside black... voila!


Top of the lid:

Inside of the lid:


Side view (yes... more dotty texture - I can't stop!)


The stacked button handle:


And the inside is now the new home to my two favorite mini alpha stamps:


A quickie, but a goodie!  Enjoy!

Back tomorrow for some art journaling.

~ ellen.


6 comments:

Hels Sheridan said...

tis gorgeous... but omg, you set my ocd off with those stamps! get them into alphabetical order now!!! LOL BTW, blogged something today inspired by you and your brayering xx

Nancy said...

What? I'm supposed to DO something with my cigar boxes? LOL
This is a great finish, Ellen - and as storage - fantastic idea! Guess we now know what I'm doing next.

Helen said...

This looks fabulous!! Love how you've altered this.

Susan said...

Love it!

Kirsten Alicia Sheridan said...

Ellen, it's gorgeous!

ionabunny said...

I love how effective your black circles with white dots are. Must take some time, and I am sure I wouldn't be able to keep them that consistant, but they add such a lot of interest. Love em