Friday, March 7, 2014

Art Journal Page - Leaves as Wings

Hello!

Well, here we are on week #2 and I've got another journal page to share from my PaperArtsy journal.


Today we'll be using stamps from EEV02 and EEV04.



I gessoed the page and then crated a background using PaperArtsy fresco paints: zesty zing, tango, and blood orange.  But this time I *didn't* use my brayer!  Get this... I finger painted!  And I loved it!!  There is something very liberating about using your *hands* to paint... and the blending is phenomenally easy... the paint really gets into the grain of the paper, and the oils in your hands create this beautiful sheen.  I think I've stumbled onto something.... LOVE finger painting!


Then I used Venetian Orange archival ink to stamp my scratchy circle stamp from EEV02 (links on side bar --->>>) over the entire page, staggering the stamping to create a pattern of circles.


I added some torn map paper to create a "branch" of sorts, and then added the bird nest and bird image (magazine cut outs).  I wanted to add some extra wings to the bird and used one of the leaves from EEV04, stamped onto painted brayer clean-up paper.  I cut the stamped leaves into different wing shapes and sizes and positioned them in line with the birds natural wings.  It's sort of like the wings are in slow motion... or just like extra wings... either way, I was happy with the result and for finding a new way to use the leaf stamp!

I wanted to find a quote about birds, or flying, and came across this one on quotes.com.  I did all the lettering with a black paint pen and then outlined with white paint pen.


The hat is a piece of map paper with stripes added with paint pens.


Added some dotty texture, collaged some painted paper for a border, and outlined all the collage pieces with a Stabilo ALL pencil... all done!  Week 2 finished - I'll be back next Friday with another journal page!  Have a wonderful weekend!

~ ellen.

11 comments:

Sharon Gorberg said...

Wonderful image AND quote Ellen.WHere did the quote come from?

Sharon Gorberg said...

Sharon Gorberg

sharon.gorberg@gmail.com

whyducks said...

Just lovely. Yay my stamps arrived today!

Patti Parrish said...

What's not to love, but especially loving the black/white tiny dots you've been added lately.

Carol said...

Gorgeous x

Kirsten Alicia Sheridan said...

Wow!! That's wonderful!

Helen said...

Love it Ellen!!

Marjie Kemper said...

What a gorgeous page, Ellen..... love your colors!

ionabunny said...

Love your bright colours and the bold lettering. The scratchy circle gives a subtle but effective background

Anita Houston said...

Love these pages Ellen! The saying, the bird, the wings with your stamps, the nest, and the color are all sublime!

Tracy said...

There's nothing like getting your hands dirty - it's so liberating :) Love this page, especially the wings.