Thursday, March 20, 2014

Collaborative Art Journal Cover

Hello!

Last weekend I got together with two of my best art friends, Patti Tolley Parrish and Donna Walsh. We try to get together once a month to just be together and make art.  On Saturday, Patti was super excited because her new line of stencils was just released with iStencils (fabulous designs!) and Donna shared an amazing story of how her latest creations were inspired.  The BEST part of both of those things is that, because we were together, and sharing our art with each other, I was able to create the most amazing cover for a new journal I put together that day!


I was making pages for a new art journal by taking sheets of manila and painting them on both sides with a variety of paints - just scraping the paint on with an old credit card and blending different colors together and over each other - in other words - unadulterated painty messy FUN with no thought involved!  Perfection!


A created backgrounds for all my pages using my stamps... here are a few of the pages...



Once I had all my pages made, I scored each page down the center and gathered them into three signatures of three pages each - so nine pages (front and back) in total. And then did a cover using a manila folder using the same scraped paint technique.


I sewed the signatures into the cover, and then started working on the cover.  I started by stamping the scratchy rectangle shape from my EEV02 stamp set (see the "My Stamps" page for links to retailers in both the U.K. and the U.S.).  I used archival ink for the stamping.


Then I added a strip of old collage paper to the top and the bottom.... here's where the collaboration began.... Donna had been showing us these *amazing* things she had been making using Yupo paper and alcohol inks, with some stamping on top.  Seriously *stunning*!!!  And she gave me one!  Well.... it just so happened that the colors were absolutely perfect for the cover of my journal!


AND... Patti was super duper generous and gave us each a few of her new stencils to play with, and this one - Dangles was also just *perfect* for the cover!  


So... My stamps + Patti's stencils + Donna's art = Gorgeousness!


I'm so thankful to have awesome arty friends close by.  Nothing better than spending the day making art with people who just "get it"... life is good!

See you soon....

~ ellen.






10 comments:

Denise Spillane said...

Love your results. Nice collaberation

Hazel Agnew said...

Soooo lucky to have arty friends and close by as well. Can tell that you enjoyed yourselves because the work oozes fun!

Carol said...

Wow - your collaboration art is brilliant - sounds like you all had a wonderful fun messy day :)

Krisha said...

What an amazing outcome from a day of play! I so love that stencil.

Patti Parrish said...

Redneck Geisha apploove!

Helen said...

brilliant work, Ellen, and that stencil is gorgeous... really want that!!

sam21ski said...

Great covers Ellen, Patti's stencils are fab aren't they.

Love your bright pages and your stamps are fab, got 2 sets, so building up the collection!!

Can't wait for your next session on the PA blog!!

Sam xx

sam21ski said...

Great covers Ellen, Patti's stencils are fab aren't they.

Love your bright pages and your stamps are fab, got 2 sets, so building up the collection!!

Can't wait for your next session on the PA blog!!

Sam xx

Kirsten Alicia Sheridan said...

Wow!! Stunning cover, I need that stencil! And your pages look wonderful.

Betsy Skagen said...

You make everything look so easy! Betsy