Saturday, May 3, 2014

Creating Patterns with My Stamps

Hi everybody!

Sorry it's been a bit quiet here on the blog... life happens and then I was sick all last week.  It wasn't until yesterday that I was able to sit in my studio for longer than 20 minutes.  So I'm *very* glad to be feeling better!

All of my stamps, including the two new releases are IN STOCK at Simon Says Stamp!  Go to the "My Stamps" page on my blog for direct links to each stamp set on the SSS website.  They seem to be going quickly so if you're interested act fast!  And, of course, for all my UK friends, you can also order direct from PaperArtsy.

I've been seeing lots of questions from people on how to use my stamps.  Since they came from my head, it makes sense to me, but I wanted to take a moment to explain how I envisioned them being used.  It all starts with my love of PATTERNS.  I love repeating patterns - for backgrounds, or focal images, or just for the sake of loving patterns.  Perhaps it's my accountant/organized brain who likes things in neat little balancing columns.  

So, I never envisioned creating whole pages or art pieces filled with multiple different stamps... I typically use only two or three different stamps on a piece.  One as a background, and then one or two others as additional texture on top in the foreground... 

I spent some time yesterday building up a stash of collage papers for future projects using my stamps and some deli paper (dry wax paper) and jet black archival ink.  The deli paper is great for collage because it's very thin, but fairly durable, and layers beautifully over other colors.  Here's my collection - focus in on all the different patterns I created using multiple stampings of ONE stamp at a time... the deli papers are 12" x 12". I will cut or tear out the different patterned strips to use as collage in future projects.

All stamps are from EEV05 - repeat stamped with black archival ink.

Giant bubble wrap stamp from EEV06-Circles.

Small splodgy dot stamp on top, mini dots stamp on bottom - both from EEV06-Circles.

Stamps from EEV05, EEV06 and EEV02

Close up - washer circles (EEV06) , accent lines (EEV05) , and scratchy lines (EEV02).

Close up: zigzag circles, and grungy grid, both from EEV06.

Scratchy rectangles from EEV02 - my favorite set for backgrounds!

Scratchy pods from EEV02 - an abstract pattern inspired by Julie Fei-Fan Balzer recent blog post.

Scratchy circles from EEV02.

All stamps from EEV03.
Stamps from EEV05 and EEV01

And here they are all spread out on the desk - quite a collection!
I hope this gives you some ideas on how to use my stamps - for me, it's all about patterns, but of course I always love to see how other artists (that's YOU if you're reading this) interpret the images and use them in their art.  This is just how I use them.

Hope you're weekend is off to a good start.  See you soon!

~ ellen.

7 comments:

Helen said...

Glad you are feeling better, that was quite some bug you and Jack had! LOVE your patterns, Ellen, they look fabulous - now we can't wait to see what happens to them next.

PaperArtsy Rubber Stamps said...

Ohhh just waiting for paints, sprays and any translucent media. Brilliant idea and would be wicked on tissue toooooooo! Xxx

sam21ski said...

Oooh like Helen, I can't wait to see what happens next xxx

Patti Parrish said...

That's a pile of yummy right there! Now why didn't I think of doing the scratchy rectangle in a brick pattern??? Will be doing that next! LOVE!

massofhair said...

Glad you are feeling better! Thanks for the inspiration :-) x

Kirsten Alicia Sheridan said...

Hi Ellen, I hope you're fully recovered by now. I love your new PA sets, hope to get them asap.

ionabunny said...

These are gorgeous.