Monday, May 5, 2014

Re-Discovering Watercolor Pencils

Hi everyone!

Last weekend I was playing with some ATC's for my future "Heart Card" project at work (which I just found out, it was finally approved!).  I had stamped some simple patterns with my scratchy stamps (EEV02 - see Stamps page for links to retail stores), and needed a way to give them some color that wouldn't cover up the stamping.


I've had a decent collection of watercolor pencils for years, but had drifted away from using them. They were sitting in my window sill and started calling my name, so I gave them a try again and re-discovered my *love* for coloring!  I have a selection of pencils from Stampin' Up and Faber Castell, and they both work equally well.  All you need is the pencils and a water brush. Here's what I came up with... and I'll show you how I did it...


I started with a simple stamped pattern on an ATC (2.5" x 3.5")... be sure to use an archival / waterproof ink for stamping since you'll be using a water brush for blending.


For my first ATC I decided on a blue-green color palette.


I colored in each pod/leaf shape with all three colors, using a bit of each color on every image.


Then I used my detail water brush to blend the colors together and give them a more watercolor paint look.


After you blend with the water brush, the colors become more vibrant and blend together beautifully!


Then I decided to color in the background with a blend of yellow and orange.



And blended with a water brush.


On the next ATC I chose a pink-orange-yellow color palette.


I colored in each stamped image with all the pinks and oranges, and then colored the background in yellow.


And blended...


Here are the two ATC's side-by-side...


And then I added a black border with a black oil-based Sharpie paint pen.  I love the contrast of the shiny black border on the matte finish ATC, and the border really gives them a finished look. 



So, if you've got some watercolor pencils hanging around - bring them out and give them a play - if you're like me you'll rediscover just how fun they are!  Thanks for stopping by - see you soon!

~ ellen.

7 comments:

Helen said...

I love using my watercolour pencils (nearly bought some more today!)- the effect here is just fabulous, especially with the touch of black border to make them really pop.

sam21ski said...

Lovely, cept I don't have any pencils - lol xxx

Hazel Agnew said...

Juicy and vibrant. Simple but so effective. X

ionabunny said...

Lovely. Sure I have some around here somewhere......

Denise Spillane said...

Beautiful atcs.

Unknown said...

Hey girl! I love to color also and just adore this! They are gorgeous. My fav is the blue/green one. I love to stamp anything and then go back and color them with no real plan for what I am going to do with them. I put them aside and then, one day, when I least expect it, something comes up that is just perfect for their use. Love you!

isisimaginings.com said...

Gorgeous ATCs Ellen, you chose great colours. I really don't use my watercolour pencils enough, I'm always impressed by them when I do use them, so I need to get them out more often. Thanks for the inspiration.