Last week I shared a sneak peak of my new stamps with PaperArtsy. Pictures of the finished projects were over on the PA blog, but today I wanted to share some of the details on how this page in my ledger journal came together. Click on "My Stamps" at the top of my blog for links to both PaperArtsy and SimonSaysStamp for every stamp set. Easy shopping!
I started by scraping several colors of fresco paints onto my ledger page. I chose Zesty Zing, Limelight and Yellow Submarine. Then I used my new scratchy chevron background stamp from the EEV07 set, along with venetian orange archival ink to stamp the chevron shape in a few areas on the page.
Next I used my giant bubble wrap stamp from EEV06, with dandelion archival ink (from the Wendy Vecchi series of archivals), and added another layer of stamping.
And then I added another layer of stamping, using the larger painted stripes stamp from EEV05, with carnation red archival ink (also in the Wendy Vecchi series).
Next I wanted to add a layer of collage. I used the small painted stripes stamp from EEV05, black archival ink, and some tissue paper to create this grid pattern. If you stamp long rows of stripes next to each other, and then add more rows on top (or bottom), then turn the tissue paper 90 degrees and repeat the process, you get this cool grid pattern... love!
I tore a jagged section of the tissue and glued it down to the page with glue 'n' seal (or matte medium).
Now it's time to make some flowers with my new petals / pods / circles set, EEV09. I used some lightweight drawing paper and scraped three colors of paint very random and messy over the whole sheet. Then I used the scribble pattern petal to stamp LOTS of petals all over the sheet and cut them out. The cutting out isn't too bad... no real "fussy" cutting, just long smooth cuts. It's worth it! Here's my stack of petals, ready to be turned into flowers...
Time to start assembling... I made several different shapes and sizes, using glossy accents to glue all the elements together.
I wanted to tuck the center petal behind the others, and make it shorter, so I trimmed off the bottom section of the petal like this:
That way the bottom doesn't poke out from the center.
Here are all my flowers, assembled and laid out on the page. Of course, I also stamped out some circles to use as flower centers. I didn't take pix of this step, but the circles are 1" in diameter, so a 1" circle punch cuts them out perfectly!
I sketched out some stems with a fine line pen, painted them in with Hey Pesto fresco paint, added a few leaves with a different pattern petal, and stamped out a sentiment: "flowers are like people. they all grown at different rates and come in different shapes and sizes."
Here is a close up of one of the flowers. I did some messy, sketchy outlining to add some definition to each flower.
Hope you enjoyed seeing how this page came to life. I'll be sharing some other projects soon. See you then!