Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Art and Soul - Big Fat Art with Jane Davies

Hello!

Back again to recap my last class with Jane Davies - I was looking forward to this class the most! The name says it all... "Big Fat Art".  I have been doing scrapbooking, card making, and art journaling for so long that I have trouble working in a size any larger than 12x12, so this class sounded perfect for me.

In today's class, we worked with 18x24 paper, which for some artists is still *small*, but for me it was *HUGE* !  We learned a bunch of different techniques for getting started... first up was just using different drawing implements (graphite, pencil, marker, paint pen, straight paint, crayon, etc.) to get LINES down on the paper, and then painted over some of them with white paint.  

Please realize... NONE of the art in this post is finished, it is all very much in process.  


Then we chose one of those pieces, and focused on adding SHAPE... 


And then, we did a speed painting exercise... LOVE this.  We put out three colors of paint on a palette, plus a big blob of white.  Then... the scary part... we had 75 seconds to cover a sheet of 18x24 paper TOTALLY with paint.  YIKES!  Scary, but FUN!  We did that two or three times.  Here are some of the results, with a few more steps added on top.



And lastly, we tried yet another technique, which is one of my go-to-favorites anyway... scraped paint, but on a BIG FAT ART scale.  Here are three starts.  




Jane's classes really pushed me in very good ways.  I have to say I was *exhausted* by the end of the last class.  Barely had the energy to go to dinner.  We were all in bed before 10:00 that night.  If you have an interest in abstract art and have the chance to take a class with Jane... DO it.  

4 comments:

sam21ski said...

Ooh love the bottom piece, that yellow really pops xxx

Kirsten Alicia Sheridan said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time, I love your WIPs.

LMO textile arts said...

Thanks for sharing! I'll definitely watch for a Jane Davies workshop in the future.
Linda

Carol said...

Oh My I would be so out of my comfort zone...... TFS glad you had a fun creative day
Have a lovely weekend :)