(*Warning... this is a monster post! Not for the faint of heart...*)
I've been a busy little bee working (playing) away in my studio this week! Mostly I've been working on an altered book, which I posted earlier today if you want to check it out.
But today, I thought I would do a quick tag for the Compendium of Curiosities Challenge! This week's technique is called scribble stain. What started out as a quick tag exploded into a major project! PLUS, it's also a good fit for the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge, which I actually already entered, but.... who says you can't enter twice.... Here's what happened....
I opened up Tim's book to page 43 and made my first attempt at this technique.... OOPS, went a little heavy with the scribbling... let's try again.... 2nd attempt not much better than the first, so... third time a charm??? Yep! But then something funny happened.... when I put all three tags next to each other I thought, "Hey, they look sort of cool together!" So I spent some time trying to figure out how to attach them .... and that idea evolved into this....
I think I used products from practically every major line I own! The base is corrugated cardboard, painted with a combination of Golden's Yellow Ochre, Ranger's Willow, and Ranger's Mushroom paints, then added black paint to the raised parts using my fingertips.
I ran the tags thru the C'bug using a border folder that looks like rivets, sanded the raised parts and added Vintage Photo distress ink, and then added idea-ology snaps to accent. This photo shows the scribble stain part of the project, which is the reason it began!
I stamped Tim's script background on all three tags, and added Maya Road's foundation frames to each tag, inking them with distress ink and then stamping Studio 490 background stamps on the frames and the centers. Then stamped the phrases into the centers (this was one big stamp that I broke up by inking only the part needed for each frame (an exercise in careful masking and even more carefully wiping away the ink that landed where it wasn't supposed to be...). Also spritzed all three tags with Heirloom Gold perfect pearl mist.
I just bought these Rusty Tin Stars last week, and they added that perfect vintage touch to this project.
I got these cool vintage skeleton keys in my Christmas stocking! They are from an old paper mill where the antique store is now located!
|Keys are attached to the cardboard with antique gold wire|
|Added a grungeboard keyhole, with vintage photo distress embossing powder to give a rusted look, and a metal corner.|
|Added idea-ology timepiece, gears, game spinner, and metal corner.|
Hope you've managed to hang in there through this ginormous post! Congrats! You made it to the end!
~ ellen xxx