As promised, I'm back with another project to share. On Sunday morning, Hels and I were chatting on skype, and out of the blue she says to me.... "Do you have a paper and pencil?" I said, yes of course... I was in my studio, so those things are *fairly* handy... LOL...and then she said,
" I CHALLENGE THEE!!"
Well... I was a little surprised, and more than a little curious to see what she had in mind! We had been talking about different ideas for art and she was sketching some things out as we talked. I have never been one to sketch out an idea ahead of time, just never got into that habit. SO... the challenge was to make a book/journal to write down / sketch out ideas for our art. She had an idea for the book sketched out already (so credit for the design is totally hers...) but then we decided to set a few ground rules for the challenge, which we worked out together.
This is what we came up with:
Stick to the sketch for basic design
Use only 4 distress ink colors - she picked two and I picked two (independently chose colors and then shared.... oops! Two greens! Gotta make it work!)
- Crushed Olive (ellen)
- Wild Honey (ellen)
- Vintage Photo (hels)
- Bundled Sage (hels)
Plus, we agree that we could each use ONE additional "wild card" distress color.
Archival Ink - black, olive and coffee (gee, can you tell we're Wendy Vecchi fans???)
Tim Holtz - On the Fence die
Tim Holtz - Hardward Findings die (for the hinges)
5" x 7" size, bound using Cinch or Bind It All.
Embellish the binding with ribbons or charms or whatever.
So.... here's what I came up with!
I had a blast making this - here's a quick (well, maybe not so quick... it took a while!) summary of what I did. I started by gesso-ing the front & back covers (both sides) and drying with a heat gun. Then I used my "wild card" DI color - stormy sky - to ink the top portion of the cover, and used crushed olive on the bottom section. (NOTE: If you use distress ink over gesso, you have to heat-dry it... Eventually it will dry on its own but it takes *forever*... just sayin....) Then stamped Studio 490 (THE Wendy Vecchi) script background over the whole page using coffee archival ink. Stamped the grasses/birds stamp (Paper Artsy) using black archival ink. Added the picket fence die cut, which I painted with a light coat of ... wait for it.... picket fence... crackle paint, and distressed lightly with vintage photo DI. Letters for *art-spir-a-tion* (clever? or corny?) are Maya Road inked with vintage photo DI and added glossy accents on top. Flowers and leaves are by Studio 490 - inked with wild honey for large flower and vintage photo for the smaller one. Over-stamped with Studio 490 backgrounds. Leaves are in crushed olive. Added rocky candy distress stickles to all. The frame around 3-sides is just 1/4" strips of grungeboard, gessoed, inked with bundled sage, and stamped with Studio 490 screen background. Added the idea-ology spinner and a Studio 490 stamp to the bottom section beneath the fence, and added some charms to the binding.
Here's a few close-ups so you can see some details:
|LOVE that charm with the crown... been waiting to use that!|
|One element of the sketched design was to use a scroll/flourish - I found one that looked like an "E" - just had to snip a little piece off the middle... perfect!|
If you're like me and never write down your art ideas.... use our ground rules above and go make yourself an *art-spir-a-tion* book! I'd love to see it if you do!
Hope you've enjoyed playing along with me & Hels. I have a feeling we may do this again from time to time.... Please go over and check out her project! Just click HERE. Have a great day!
~ ellen xxx
P.S. - I was bad and didn't use the hinges like we agreed... I did TRY, but couldn't find a way to incorporate the hinges with the Cinch rings in the way.